The 19th September has been declared a Bank Holiday for the Queen’s Funeral.
Many employers will be wondering how to administer the Bank Holiday for the Queen’s Funeral, so we have detailed below a range of considerations and a free memp to download to provide to your employees.
The funeral will take place on Monday 19th September 2022. This will allow individuals across the United Kingdom to pay their respects to the late Queen Elizabeth II. The 19th September 2022 will be the last official day of national mourning.
This Bank Holiday will operate the same as others. This means that there is no statutory entitlement to time off. Some employers include Bank Holidays as part of employee’s leave entitlement, and others require Bank Holidays to be taken as annual leave.
Each business is entitled to make an informed decision itself. This decision could be to close your business and allow your staff to have a paid day off. Another decision could be to require workers to book it as annual leave as soon as possible.
We recognise that this is a unique and sensitive moment for the nation. Whilst the nation is mourning HM The Queen, it is important to be considerate towards employees. Take a sensitive approach towards requests for time off.
You may want to consider the following:
- What if someone doesn’t work on a Monday on their normal rota?
- What allowance should I give to part-time workers and how does this effect holiday pay?
- How quickly do I need employees to inform management of their intention, so you can plan rota’s as required?
- If you don’t allow leave, will employees potentially phone in sick?
- What arrangements will employees need to consider for childcare as schools are closed?
Download Your Memo
We have drafted a memo from which you can choose your preferred solution and issue to your employees.
Simply enter your details below to access your document then download.
If you would like more detail, policies or support and advise, contact our team on 01254 947829